Vladimir Onokoy 11.29.22
Within the final 25 years, we now have all seen an unbelievable transformation in navy footwear. Within the late Nineteen Nineties, military-style boots had been the cream of the crop, however over time, particular items, and the whole tactical neighborhood began to maneuver towards trekking/mountain climbing boots. By the early 2010s, it was already arduous to think about a Navy Seal sporting traditional navy boots on a mission – it was all about Salomons, Oakleys, Merrels… Few tactical boots obtained legendary standing, and Lowa Zephyr is certainly one of them.
I obtained mine in 2015, and so they had been already insanely fashionable, particularly in the SF neighborhood within the US and the UK, in addition to in Japanese Europe, particularly in Ukraine and Russia. In a while, I’ve seen Zephyrs everywhere in the world, together with unlikely locations like Congo and Somalia.
The recognition of Zephyr boots began to create humorous conditions – as soon as I labored as a guide and actor on a film in regards to the Syrian battle, and we needed to equip a whole group of actors, together with myself, who had been speculated to play the CIA GRS group. We had been planning to put on Lowa Zephyr boots, however the costume division explicitly banned Zephyrs for us, as a result of actors who performed Russian particular forces, our archenemies within the film, wore precisely the identical Zephyr boots.
Lowa model has been round since 1923 however was principally recognized for mountain climbing and work boots, solely within the 2000s they began their enlargement within the navy and tactical market with Lowa Desert Elite, Lowa Fight, Lowa Patrol, and some different fashions. However Zephyr is probably essentially the most profitable one. This mannequin has some really modern options, such because the Monowrap know-how, which basically creates a protecting body that’s related to the only real of the boot, giving Zephyr its distinctive look.
The boot is available in 6 and eight inches in top, there’s a Gore-tex model and the model and not using a membrane, for warmer climates. I personally used two pairs of Lowa Zephyr, gray and black, and whereas I gave the black pair to a buddy years in the past, my gray Lowas been with me all over the place, from the mountains of Pakistan to Las Vegas on line casino flooring.
After utilizing them for 7 years, I might say that Lowa Zephyr is certainly very comfy, has an important lacing system, and is comparatively waterproof (as waterproof as mountain climbing boots might be), however most significantly, they appear actually good. Many individuals nonetheless wish to fake it doesn’t matter, however anybody who labored within the outside trade is aware of how necessary it’s.
- The good lacing system, which I believe needs to be the usual for all mountain climbing boots at that time. You may simply bounce in your boots, in case you’re in hurry, and tie them later when you might have time and alternative. After you get up in the course of the night time due to the mortar assault siren, you begin to admire the pace lacing system.
- Consolation. Virtually everybody who wears Lowa claims they’re as comfy as sneakers. Personally, I can’t attest to that, since I by no means put on sneakers and simply put on Zephyrs all over the place.
- The only is actually fused to the higher boot, which is by far essentially the most sturdy technique to connect a sole to any footwear. It is extremely unlikely that you simply’ll ever see the only real separating from the higher boot on Lowa Zephyr.
- The GTX model within reason waterproof, particularly in case you frequently reapply water repellent.
- Lowa Zephyr is a light-weight boot, so don’t anticipate them to final without end. My pair lasted 7 years, however at this level, I wouldn’t put on them to any critical hike. Many customers skilled the identical drawback – the boot would crack on the suitable or left facet the place your boot usually bends. Personally, I haven’t skilled that, however the issue is fairly frequent, and really occurred with a couple of of my shut mates.
- Zephyr is nice for a lot of environments, however lots of people don’t notice that light-weight tactical boots should not the jack of all trades. Whereas Zephyr is nice for mountain hikes, deserts, city environments, in heavy mud, Zephyr undoubtedly isn’t your best option. Mud covers up the sales space, it’s arduous to wash it off, more durable than leather-based boots, and also you merely find yourself with two bricks of mud in your ft. Choose the suitable instrument for the job.
- The lacing system is sweet, however the laces should not precisely heavy-duty. After a couple of years, I changed my laces with gray paracord and was very proud of the outcomes.
- You may’t substitute a worn-out outsole. It’s fairly typical for contemporary mountain climbing boots, however nonetheless one thing to consider in case you’re used to changing outsoles each couple of years.
Although Lowa Zephyr has been round for over 12 years, it doesn’t seem like these boots are going wherever. Newer tactical and mountain climbing boots don’t actually provide any overwhelming benefits, and it appears to be like like Zephyrs might be round for a very long time, being a benchmark different boots are measured in opposition to.