Whenever you consider Aspen, Colorado, you might consider ritzy motels and decadent events, or world-class snowboarding. But it surely’s additionally surrounded by a few of North America’s most stunning wilderness and is a pure basecamp for some unimaginable mountaineering, biking, fishing, snowboarding, and even paragliding—absolutely anything you are able to do outside. Whereas Aspen is a 4-season vacation spot, there’s tons of issues to do in Aspen in summer season, and beneath we share our favorites!
Study the most effective issues to do in Aspen in summer season together with mountaineering, biking, tenting & lodging, and restaurant suggestions.
Essential Reminder: Because it goes in all the locations we share, please observe good path etiquette and keep in mind to Depart No Hint. This implies packing out your whole rubbish (together with rest room paper), being respectful to others on busy trails, and following the established guidelines.
Aspen Summer time Mountain climbing
Aspen is nestled within the Roaring Fork Valley which gives a system of trails for each hiker from newbie to skilled. With fields of wildflowers, mountain vistas, and dense forests, mountaineering is among the finest issues to do in Aspen in the summertime. Listed below are a few of our favourite trails:
West Maroon Cross
This hike begins beneath the Maroon Bells at Maroon Lake, one of the vital photographed spots within the nation, and the primary few miles are about as busy as you’d count on. However when you go the picnicking households at Crater Lake, the path turns into infinitely much less crowded. It’s six and a half miles one-way to West Maroon Cross, however you may flip round everytime you like (or you may preserve going, descend the opposite facet of the go, and stroll all the best way to Crested Butte!). The views are unbeatable the entire means!
You’ll should drive just a few miles down valley to get to the trailhead, however Triangle Peak is a lesser-known hike that reaps large rewards in a brief distance. You hike up a jeep street for 2 and a half miles to the summit of Triangle Peak, and from there you may have a view of your complete Roaring Fork Valley, the entire Elk Mountain Vary, and nearly all of Aspen-Snowmass’s 4 ski areas.
You’ll be able to comply with the Ute Path all the best way to the highest of Aspen Mountain. Whereas it’s steep at first, it’s a lot much less busy than the favored street up the face of the ski hill. For those who’re completely exhausted once you get to the highest, you may take the gondola again right down to city.
Aspen Summer time Biking
Aspen has biking choices for everyone. From lung-busting street rides to rollercoaster single observe, and even household cruiser rides – it’s all there and among the best issues to do in Aspen in the summertime!
A few Aspen street bike classics are Independence Cross, a lung-busting climb to 12,065 toes above sea stage, and Maroon Creek Highway, a relatively flat (however in actuality, regular uphill) experience to the long-lasting Maroon Bells.
For those who’ve acquired children, or don’t fancy driving with site visitors, cruise down the valley on the Rio Grande Path, a former railroad observe turned multi-use pathway that stretches 40-plus miles all the best way to Glenwood Springs alongside the Roaring Fork River. A mid-morning experience to Woody Creek Tavern for lunch is hard to beat; it’s about 10 miles from Aspen, simply lengthy sufficient to earn that burger and brew.
Head up the face of Aspen Mountain on the forest service street and revel in single-track on the best way down, or take one of many trails throughout city, above the previous Smuggler Mine. Really feel like getting out of city a bit extra? Close by Snowmass Mountain has extra singletrack, downhill, and enduro driving than your legs may ever deal with. For a dynamite single-track shuttle, take the free bus from Aspen to Snowmass Village, then mix the Rim Path, simply west of Snowmass Village with the model new single observe of Sky Mountain Park, chopping again to Aspen on the hillsides above Aspen airport.
Aspen Summer time Fishing
There could also be no higher place on earth for fly fishing. The Roaring Fork River, a gold-medal fishing river, flows proper by means of city. Fifteen minutes down the valley, it’s joined by the Fryingpan River, one other gold-medal river. Fifteen minutes previous there, the Crystal River joins the social gathering—one other world-class fly fishing river. You’ll be able to rent a information to take you to their favourite secret spots, or you may simply seize your rod and head on the market—it’s onerous to go unsuitable on this space!
Simply be sure you’re not venturing onto non-public property and decide up a Colorado fishing license! You’ll be able to snag one on-line, from Metropolis Market within the heart of city, or within the fly outlets in Aspen, Basalt, or Carbondale.
Greatest Aspen Eating places
Aspen is a foodie city with tons of connoisseur choices. For those who’re in search of a extra informal spot to seize a go-to meal or a chunk after an extended day on the paths, listed here are a few of our suggestions:
- Zane’s Tavern: A sports activities bar that’s common with locals, particularly when the Denver Broncos are enjoying. The meals is typical pub grub, nevertheless it’s stable and cheap. And you may’t go unsuitable with something fried, proper?
- Massive Wrap: This can be a cash-only informal joint that serves tacos, wraps, sandwiches, and extra.
- Jour de Fete: the French title may sound fancy, however this can be a no-frills deli with nice sandwiches and salads.
- Bangkok Blissful Bowl: Yummy Thai meals which you can eat in or take out.
- Woody Creek Tavern: That is the famed hangout spot of the late Hunter S. Thompson. A few 20-minute stroll out of city (or 10 minutes by bike), they serve consolation bar meals and have an eclectic ambiance.
Different Issues To Do In Aspen in Summer time
Have extra time to fill throughout your journey? Listed below are a few of our different favourite summer season actions in Aspen:
- Hike or take the gondola up Aspen Mountain for a free sport of frisbee golf. There’s a disc golf course proper on the high of the ski space. Discs can be found at 4 Mountain Sports activities to lease or be at liberty to convey your personal. In case you are in Snowmass, there’s a course on the mountain there as nicely.
- Tube or paddleboard by means of Northstar Nature Protect. The present is mild, the water is shallow (and chilly!), and there’s no higher method to spend a summer season afternoon.
- Go for the coldest swim of your life at The Grottos. These snowmelt-fed swimming pools and waterfalls east of city appear to be a scene from an enchanted fairy story, however the water temperature feels extra like a wintry nightmare. For those who determine to leap in, be ready for the icy water to take your breath away—actually.
- Catch some music: The Aspen Music Festival takes place each summer season, all summer season, and college students could be discovered giving free performances on avenue corners round city. Additionally, take a look at the reside music calendar on the Stomach Up.
Aspen Tenting & Lodging Choices
Aspen is a well-liked summer season vacation spot – make sure you ebook your tenting or lodging upfront! Listed below are just a few ideas for campgrounds and motels:
- Tenting is restricted in and round Aspen; the closest campsite is Tough Campground eight miles outdoors of city towards Independence Cross. You may as well camp close to the long-lasting Maroon Bells at Silver Queen Campground. Each of those refill rapidly, so make reservations upfront if doable. Take a look at The Dyrt app for extra Aspen tenting suggestions.
- Aspen finances motels: Mountain Chalet, Tyrolean Lodge, and Annabelle Inn all have nice places with out the worth tag of their luxurious neighbors.
- If you wish to step it up somewhat, the Limelight Lodge, Lodge Aspen, and The Gant are all nice locations to remain through the summer season in Aspen.
Have you ever ever visited Aspen? Are we lacking any of the most effective issues to do in Aspen in summer season? Tell us within the feedback beneath!