Backpacking cook dinner pots can be found in titanium, aluminum, and chrome steel however there are important variations in the price, efficiency, and sturdiness between them. What are the professionals and cons of every materials and different components that it is best to contemplate when selecting a backpacking and tenting cook dinner pot?
Titanium Backpacking Pots
Titanium cook dinner pots are the only option in case your prime precedence is saving weight. However titanium backpacking pots are costlier than aluminum or chrome steel pots and are finest used for boiling water to rehydrate meals quite than cooking or frying extra advanced meals.
- Stronger than metal or aluminum
- Cools shortly, so you should utilize your cookpot as a multi-purpose bowl or mug
- Heats erratically, so not good for gradual cooking or frying
Search for fashions with folding handles and colander or strain aid holes within the lid to assist forestall messy boilovers just like the Evernew 1L Titanium Pasta Pot (4.1 oz), Toaks 650ml Titanium Pot (2.8 oz) or Toaks Titanium 500ml Pot (2.6 oz).
Aluminum Backpacking Pots
Aluminum cook dinner pots strike a superb steadiness between low-cost and light-weight. They keep warmth nicely and cook dinner evenly, making them perfect for extra advanced meals and group meals. Whereas you should utilize them to boil water for easy meals, they take longer to chill than titanium and are tougher to eat or sip from when you’re in a rush. Most aluminum cook dinner pots are laborious anodized (HA). This course of makes aluminum extra sturdy and corrosion-resistant. That is essential for backpacking whenever you’re more likely to pack a moist or damp cook dinner pot. Some aluminum frying pans and cook dinner pots additionally include non-stick surfaces, which is sensible when you plan on cooking actual meals like bacon, eggs, or pancakes, though the non-stick floor will ultimately put on out in the event that they’re closely used or abused.
- Cheaper than titanium
- Heats evenly, so it’s good for cooking extra advanced meals and group cooking
- Onerous anodized aluminum pots are corrosion-resistant
- Non-stick pots can be found
- Takes longer to chill
- Not as gentle as titanium
Search for fashions with sturdy handles and locking lids just like the GSI Halulite 1.1L Boiler (HA, 8.6 oz) or the MSR Ceramic 2.5L Pot (Non-stick, 10.1 oz) when cooking for a pair or group. You too can purchase a non-anodized 0.7L IMUSA aluminum mug (2.4 oz) and make a lid for it out of a pie tin. But it surely’s fairly skinny aluminum and can dent simply.
Stainless Metal Backpacking Pots
Stainless Metal backpacking and tenting pots are the workhorses of the backcountry. They’re perfect for people who find themselves very laborious on their gear, together with guides, scout teams, and out of doors organizations. Efficiency-wise, chrome steel pots are extra warmth environment friendly than titanium pots, however not as simple to cook dinner with as aluminum. Stainless-steel pots are additionally heavier than each titanium and aluminum pots however are by far the hardest alternative and probably the most reasonably priced.
- Tremendous sturdy. Lasts endlessly
- Least costly
- Topic to sizzling spots like titanium.
- Not as gentle as titanium
Search for pots with sturdy lengthy, locking handles that allow you to retailer your range and cooking provides inside just like the 1.6L MSR Alpine Stowaway Pot (19.5oz), which is out there in a number of smaller sizes. Hanging kits like GSI Outside Stainless Troop Cookset are additionally good when cooking over campfires.
Extra Choice Ideas
Listed below are some extra options and tricks to contemplate when deciding on a backpacking cookpot or tenting cookware.
- If you happen to plan to measure liquid, get a pot that has liquid amount markings scored in ounces and ml.
- If you happen to plan on boiling water and pouring it right into a cook-in-the-pouch freeze-dried or dehydrated meal, get a pot that has a pour spout.
- Most commercially ready backpacking meals want 2 cups of water or 473 ml. When sizing a pot, don’t overlook that your meals will displace some water when you cook dinner meals contained in the pot, and don’t simply boil water with it.
- If you happen to purchase a titanium cookpot, ensure the pot lid is manufactured from titanium and never metal.
- Keep away from pots that don’t have fold-away handles and require the usage of a pot gripper. The grippers are simple to lose or overlook.
- The Halulite pots made by GSI Open air are laborious anodized. Halulite is their complicated manner of branding a tough anodization course of.
- If you happen to cook dinner with fuel, ensure the cookpot you select can maintain a small or medium-sized fuel canister and your range when packed.
- If you happen to use a windscreen when cooking, get one manufactured from titanium foil that may roll up inside your pot when packed.
- Most built-in cook dinner techniques like these from Jetboil (Flash, Zip, and so forth) and the MSR Windburner include hard-anodized aluminum pots.
- Broad pots seize extra range warmth than slender pots.
SectionHiker is reader-supported. We solely become profitable if you are going to buy a product by means of our affiliate hyperlinks. Assist us proceed to check and write unsponsored and impartial gear opinions, newbie FAQs, and free climbing guides.