Arctic char is one in all my favourite fish to cook dinner. They turn into good and fatty from the chilly northern waters the place they dwell, making them keep good and juicy whereas cooking at excessive temperatures. One other char species like brook or lake trout or splake can even work with this recipe. I prefer to serve this dish with a zesty Asian coleslaw.
- 2 fillets of Arctic char, 6 oz, boneless, pores and skin on
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to style
- 2 scallions, sliced skinny on an angle
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
For hoisin glaze:
- 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp contemporary ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
1. Preheat oven to low broil.
2. Warmth olive oil in a non-stick pan on excessive. Season each pores and skin and flesh facet of fish with salt and pepper.
3. Oil ought to be fairly sizzling. Sear pores and skin facet down, urgent gently with the again of a spatula so the pores and skin is evenly touching the underside of the pan. This may forestall curling and ensure all of the pores and skin will get crisp.
4. As soon as the pores and skin is sweet and golden, about 2-3 minutes, spoon a few of your glaze on the flesh facet of the fish and place in oven for 3-5 minutes, nonetheless with the pores and skin facet down. Maintain an in depth eye on it because the sugar content material within the glaze can burn shortly.
5. When the glaze begins to bubble and tackle some color, take away from warmth.
6. Garnish with sliced scallions and sesame seeds.
Andrew Rochon is OOD’s meals editor. You may observe extra of his culinary adventures on Instagram: @wilderness_chef
Initially printed within the July 2021 concern of Ontario OUT of DOORS journal.