Baja, Mexico is an outside haven simply south of the US border that boasts world-class alternatives for whale watching, browsing, mountaineering, and exploring lovely, white sand seashores.
Whereas many vacationers know Baja California Sur due to the glitzy Cabo San Lucas, there’s a lot extra to this a part of Mexico than all-inclusive resorts and golf programs. If you wish to find out about the perfect outdoorsy locations in Mexico’s Baja California Sur, this information is for you.
I rented a automotive in Cabo San Lucas for my journey and visited a number of the most scenic spots within the area like La Paz, Magdalena Bay, Todos Santos, and Loreto.
I spent 8 days street tripping Baja, however I encourage you to plan extra time to go to the perfect locations in Baja California Sur, as this a part of Mexico is really various and huge, with many locations boasting beautiful hidden corners and less-explored spots.
The place is the Baja California Sur?
The Baja peninsula is the lengthy strip of land that extends over 700 miles south from the US-Mexico border beneath California.
It’s made up of two states, Baja California (additionally known as Baja California Norte) within the north and Baja California Sur within the south. Whereas Baja California has some nice locations, my favorites are in Baja California Sur.
How To Get To Baja California Sur
If you wish to fly to Baja California Sur, the best choice is Los Cabos Worldwide Airport (SJD) situated about 25 minutes away from Cabo San Lucas. This airport has direct flights from many locations in the USA, Canada, and Mexico, and affords a handy place to begin on your adventures.
Different choices are La Paz Worldwide Airport – Manuel Márquez de León (LAP) and Loreto Worldwide Airport (LTO), each of which have flights to the US and mainland Mexico. These are smaller airports, so plan to pay the next ticket value and have fewer flight choices than Cabo.
Should you’ve bought extra time to spare, take into account a street journey right down to Baja California Sur from California. That means you may discover all the greatest locations to go to in Baja California on one journey.
Baja California Sur Transportation Choices
A few of the greatest seashores in Baja can’t be accessed by public transportation, and taxi or Uber isn’t at all times accessible, particularly in small cities which regularly function gateways to a number of the greatest adventures within the area.
Since public transportation is scarce, your greatest wager is to lease a automotive to discover the peninsula.
You possibly can browse accessible choices by DiscoverCars, a well-liked platform for renting automobiles the place you may get pleasure from budget-friendly charges and versatile cancellation insurance policies. I booked my automotive with Avis through DiscoverCars, and would advocate their providers.
Greatest Baja California Sur Locations
1. La Paz
La Paz is the capital metropolis of Baja California Sur (to not be confused with La Paz in Bolivia), and a getaway to journey that gives pure magnificence, cultural experiences, out of doors actions, and wildlife encounters. Because of this, it’s on the prime of my record for the perfect locations for out of doors fans to go to in Baja. See this weblog submit for a full 4-day La Paz itinerary.
Positioned on the japanese aspect of the peninsula, La Paz is famend for its beautiful seashores, together with Playa Balandra, Playa Tecolote, and Playa El Tesoro.
These seashores are teeming with marine life and are thought of one of the biodiverse seas on this planet — good for swimming, sunbathing, snorkeling, and kayaking.
Along with visiting the seashores, right here’s a number of of my favourite issues to do in La Paz:
- Go to Isla Espíritu Santo, a UNESCO World Heritage web site that could be a brief boat trip away and could be visited solely with a tour as a consequence of its protected standing. It has spectacular rock formations, clear waters, and a wealthy ecosystem. Excursions mean you can discover the island’s mountaineering trails, snorkel with sea lions or whale sharks (relying on the season), and benefit from the unspoiled pure magnificence.
- Stroll across the charming historic downtown space with colourful buildings and native markets. You possibly can discover retailers and artwork galleries.
- Take pleasure in conventional Mexican delicacies at native eating places. My favorites are El Estadio Tacos, Gorditas El Cacheton, Tacos Perrones, and El Paisa.
- Water actions, like kayaking, paddleboarding, fishing, and crusing. The calm waters of the bay make it a great place for freshmen to strive these actions.
2. Puerto Magdalena (Magdalena Bay)
Magdalena Bay is a big bay on the western coast of Baja California Sur. This bay is famend for its ecotourism which permits guests to expertise shut encounters with various marine ecosystems and wildlife.
It’s a chosen reserve, which displays the efforts to guard and preserve its various ecosystems and wildlife. It’s certainly one of my favourite locations to go to on the Southern Baja Peninsula.
Right here’s an summary of the highest issues to do in Magdalena Bay:
- Whale Watching: One of many most important sights of Magdalena Bay is its significance as a calving and breeding floor for grey whales. From January to March, grey whales migrate hundreds of miles from their feeding grounds within the Arctic to the nice and cozy waters of Baja California to provide delivery to their calves. Guests can take a guided whale-watching tour to watch these magnificent creatures from a detailed distance.
- Birdwatching: The bay’s various ecosystems make it a haven for birdwatchers. The intensive mangrove forests, mudflats, and dunes present habitats for numerous hen species, together with pelicans, herons, egrets, and extra.
- Mangrove Ecosystems: Magdalena Bay is dwelling to intensive mangrove forests, which function breeding and nursery grounds for numerous marine species. The mangroves additionally contribute to the bay’s ecological stability by filtering water and offering shelter for marine life.
Loreto is a hidden gem of Baja California Sur on the japanese coast of the peninsula. One of many oldest settlements in Baja California Sur, this city was based in 1697 by Jesuit missionaries.
It’s considerably off the overwhelmed path, which suggests it’s comparatively uncrowded in comparison with in style locations down south like Cabo San Lucas, Todos Santos, and even La Paz. No matter exercise you select to do, it is possible for you to to benefit from the spectacular surroundings with out having to battle the crowds.
Right here’s a number of of the perfect issues to do in Loreto:
- Downtown Loreto is effectively definitely worth the cease with colonial-style structure, cobblestone streets, and a tranquil environment.
- The Mission of Our Girl of Loreto is among the most vital landmarks on the town constructed by the Jesuit missionaries. This mission was the primary of its sort on the Baja California Peninsula and performed a big position in changing indigenous individuals into Catholicism. The mission served as a middle for changing the native indigenous populations to Christianity and Spanish methods of life.
- The Jesuit Missions of Loreto Museum situated proper close to the church is the place you will get a glimpse into the area’s wealthy historical past.
- The city is surrounded by pure magnificence, with the Sea of Cortez to the east and the Sierra de la Giganta mountain vary to the west. This mix of sea and mountains is a playground for out of doors actions like mountaineering, horseback using, fishing, and ATV using.
- Like Magdalena Bay, Loreto can also be a spot for informal whale watching. The waters round Loreto are frequented by a number of whale species, nonetheless, the density of whales isn’t as nice, so in the event you’re actually attempting to see whales, head to Magdalena.
- Simply off the coast of Loreto sits Loreto Bay Nationwide Park (Parque Nacional Bahía de Loreto), one of the spectacular locations to go to in Mexico the place you may get pleasure from pristine seashores, spot marine wildlife, and get pleasure from a scenic boat trip.
- Scuba diving: A few of the hottest islands round Loreto are Isla Coronado, Isla Carmen, and Isla Danzante.
Whereas it won’t be as well-known as a number of the different greatest locations to go to in Baja California Sur, Mulege is a should in your Baja California itinerary. It’s a gateway to a number of the greatest seashores in Mexico like Playa Burro, Playa El Coyote, and Playa Requesón within the Bahia de Concepcion.
The city’s residents are identified for his or her heat hospitality and welcoming nature, and you’ll simply join with the local people in the event you be taught some fundamental Spanish.
Right here’s a number of of the perfect issues to do in Mulege:
- The Santa Rosalía de Mulegé Mission, a historic Spanish colonial mission courting again to the 18th century is the spotlight of Mulege. The mission’s structure and historical past present perception into the area’s previous. Observe the path behind the church and one can find among the finest views in Mulege which affords a panorama of the river with many palm timber that have been planted by Spanish Jesuits who introduced their horses and mules right here.
- The Sierra de San Francisco is dwelling to historic cave work created by indigenous individuals. These work supply a glimpse into the prehistoric cultures of the area and are a UNESCO World Heritage web site.
- The encompassing space is nice for exploring on foot, by bike, or by boat. You possibly can hike by desert trails, discover the riverside, and uncover hidden gems.
- Lastly, the clear darkish skies over Mulege supply top-notch alternatives for stargazing since there’s little to no mild air pollution within the space.
5. Todos Santos
Todos Santos is among the greatest locations to go to in Baja California Sur as a day journey from Cabo San Lucas, with many vacationers coming right here to get pleasure from a quiet way of life and discover seashores that supply alternatives for browsing and swimming.
Except for its tranquil setting and beautiful seashores, Todos Santos boasts some attention-grabbing historical past. Within the 18th century, Spanish missionaries who arrived within the space established a Misión Santa Rosa de las Palmas to transform the native indigenous populations to Christianity. The mission complicated included a church and dwelling quarters for the missionaries.
After Mexico gained independence from Spain within the early nineteenth century, the mission system was dismantled, and the city transitioned to a secular group. Todos Santos continued to be a middle for agricultural actions, notably sugar cane manufacturing, which was a big business within the area.
Within the mid-Twentieth century, the city started to draw consideration from artists and vacationers fascinated by its picturesque landscapes and historic appeal. The city’s colonial structure, laid-back environment, and proximity to the Pacific Ocean and the Sierra de la Laguna mountains made it an interesting vacation spot.
In latest a long time, Todos Santos has change into identified for its inventive, bohemian, and cultural character. It’s a chosen “Pueblo Mágico,” a designation given by the Mexican authorities to cities which have cultural, historic, or pure significance.
Right here’s a number of of my favourite issues to do in Todos Santos. For extra concepts, see this submit about how one can spend your time in Todos Santos.
- Hike to Punta Lobos – Among the finest issues to do in Todos Santos is hike Punta Lobos, a scenic path that results in among the finest overlooks within the space. It’s a steep however rewarding hike that boasts 360-degree views of the Pacific and even affords a possibility to see whales splashing within the azure waters of the ocean. Put on good mountaineering boots and convey loads of snacks as a result of this can be a demanding hike with slightly shadow and a few steep components.
- Take a guided artwork tour to be taught concerning the native artist group and ongoing cultural actions.
- Buy groceries – Vacationers come to Todos Santos for its galleries, craft retailers, and tranquil setting. The city’s artistic and relaxed environment, mixed with its beautiful pure environment, make it a singular and enticing vacation spot for vacationers searching for a mix of historical past, tradition, and creativity.
- Go online – Positioned alongside the Pacific Coast of Mexico (in contrast to most of the different locations on this record), Todos Santos is dwelling to many seashores which might be appropriate for all ranges of browsing. Cerritos is the preferred for freshmen to intermediates and you’ll ebook a lesson or leases proper on the seashore.
Searching for extra Baja weblog posts?
Save this submit to Pinterest
Which Baja California Sur locations are in your bucket record or have you ever visited? Tell us within the feedback!