Planning a tour of Wales? Need to know the very best locations to go to on a Wales street journey? Listed below are 4 unmissable street journey itineraries that may take your breath away.
Remember to seize your free downloadable Wales street journey information that will help you plan your journey.
*We work laborious to make this the very best motorhome weblog and street journey web site potential, filled with useful content material for you. The web site is supported by our readers, so should you purchase via hyperlinks on this website we might earn a commission- at no additional value to you. All opinions stay our personal.
In case you discover this put up helpful, you can too deal with us to a espresso on the backside of this page- we promise to get pleasure from it whereas creating extra helpful content material like this- we’d even bask in a biscuit (or two!)
Why I DIDN’T wish to plan a Wales Street Journey!
Personally, I blame Rugby.
The extreme rivalry between England and Wales (that rivalry extends to just about all sports activities, in case you have been questioning!) was one thing I grew up watching- and it simply… kinda… caught. I will be honest- it made me slightly sceptical about visiting the nation, not to mention planning a Wales street journey.
However I did and we went and…. it was fabulous.
The climate was nice (all the time helps) and the surroundings was breathtaking. Wales have created 3 nationwide driving routes known as the Wales Approach and they’re all fabulous. However what shocked me probably the most was how pleasant and welcoming the individuals have been to us.
It was our very first street journey with our motorhome and we stayed at a few the greatest motorhome websites in Wales. It was implausible. We have now been a number of instances and might’t wait to return once more. It is one in all our absolute favorite locations to street journey within the UK.
We have put collectively a number of the greatest locations to go to in Wales, for each itinerary. In case you’ve solely received 2 or 3 days, or an extended weekend, stick to 1 space. If in case you have every week or longer to discover, you possibly can simply do a number of locations on this itinerary or discover one in all them in additional depth. Nonetheless you propose your street journey, you will have a superb time.
When is the very best time to street journey round Wales?
One of many causes we love Wales a lot is all of the out of doors actions it gives. For that motive, we advocate visiting Wales anytime between Easter and mid-October, to actually benefit from the highlights.
Having mentioned that, Wales just isn’t like Cornwall, and most locations don’t shut for the winter, so you possibly can exit of season and benefit from the lack of vacationers. It is fully as much as you!
Wales Street Journey Map- plan of our Welsh itinerary
That is all the map of our itinerary. Doing it ALL in every week is perhaps a wrestle, though you’ll be able to should you drive lots and do not cease typically throughout the day.
We advocate a minimum of 10-14 days to do all the route. If in case you have a shorter time, simply choose a component of it and are available again for the remaining later!!
I discover it so irritating when individuals rattle off the very best locations to go… and you don’t have any concept the place any of them are! I hope this Wales street journey map helps you get extra conversant in the locations we share
Brecon Beacons – Good South Wales Street Journey
Urged by Pauline | BeeLoved Metropolis
The Brecon Beacons are excellent for street trippers on the lookout for an journey. It’s some of the lovely locations within the UK and but so underrated. You can see lovely wild tenting spots the place you’ll be able to get pleasure from these wide-open areas, lovely landscapes and a sky filled with stars!
The Brecon Beacons is one in all three nationwide parks in Wales. All of them supply breath-taking landscapes and wonderful mountain climbing alternatives for nature lovers.
Brecon Beacon street trip- driving the best street in Wales
The best driving street in Wales is known as the Gospel Cross- snaking over the Black Mountains from Abergavenny to Hay-on-wye on the east of the Beacons
The best way to get to the Gospel Cross
From Abergavenny, flip off the A465 at Llanvihangel Crucorney and comply with indicators for the ruins of Llanthony Priory. From Hay-on-Wye, the Gospel go is sign-posted.
CAUTION- The Cross is 22 miles of typically single observe, very steep (1/4) and isn’t cleared in winter. Motorhomes would possibly discover it powerful and snow chains are important in winter.
Driving the High Gear Street
You can too drive the A4069, to the west of the Brecon Beacons- the street made well-known by Jeremy Clarkson and High Gear (no, that is NOT the identical street because the Gospel Cross!) The street runs from Brynamman to Llangadog (I swear I am not making these names up!) That is one other unimaginable road- and most of it’s 2-way you will be happy to know. We did it on a motorbike- it was spectacular.
What else is there to do on a Brecon Beacons street journey?
- Mountain climbing. Heaps and much and plenty of mountain climbing
- Pen-Y-Fan- the best peak in South Wales (on the street from Merthyr Tydfil to Brecon) Strive a Beacons Horseshoe ridge stroll which can take you as much as the summit of Pen-Y-Fan. From there you’ll have a 360-degree view on the Cwm Llwch valley. This 3 to 4 hours stroll is the right solution to expertise the true fantastic thing about the Beacons.
- Waterfalls! There are some unimaginable waterfalls all around the Beacons. Some of the well-liked waterfalls is Sgwd Gwladys.
- Kayaking, rafting and bouldering are additionally well-liked
- Present Caves- go to a number of the largest showcases within the UK
- Go to wonderful castles comparable to Carreg Cennen or Brecon Fort. There are such a lot of legends surrounding the Brecon Beacons and guided excursions are an effective way to find wonderful Welsh legends and tales.
- Go to cute city like Brecon, Crickhowell or Hye-on-Wye.
Gower Peninsula – Wales Street Journey concept
Really helpful by Clemens | Travellers Archive
The Gower peninsula is an ideal cease on a Wales Street Journey. It is a small peninsula on the southern Welsh coast, simply west of Swansea. Do you know, it was the first area in Nice Britain to be acknowledged as an “Space of Excellent Pure Magnificence”.
Why ought to I embrace Gower in a Welsh Street Journey itinerary?
“The Gower”, because the peninsula can also be known as, is an ideal place for out of doors/ nature fanatics and is tremendous well-liked with:
- chook watchers
- solar worshippers
- watersports fanatics
- campers and motorhomers
It’s a brief drive from the principle motorway all the way down to Gower Island, the place you will discover an idyllic scene of small retailers, quaint homes and conventional pubs. Above all, it’s topped with the relaxed vibe of a browsing village – the ocean is close to and so is the contemporary air. It is the right place to chill out.
Okay, so it is pretty- however what’s there to DO?
You’ll be able to simply spend a complete week on the Gower Peninsula.
- Begin at Worm’s Head, a weird tidal island on the southwest tip of the peninsula in Rhossili Bay. This is without doubt one of the Gower’s most well-known attractions- though it isn’t fully clear why!
- Positively put in a cease at Rhossili, the place you’ll be able to hire a surfboard at PJ’s Surfshop and likewise get pleasure from scrumptious fish and chips on the ‘The King’s Head’ pub.
- Gower additionally has a number of good seashores the place you’ll be able to spend relaxed days within the solar. Our favourites are Caswell and Landland, the place you will discover all the things you want for a day on the seashore: ice cream, parking and retailers.
- Additionally, don’t neglect to go on a correct coastal hike. The simplest of all of them is definitely the hike between the 2 aforementioned seashores.
- The Mumbles is the place we spent our very first evening ‘off-grid’ in our motorhome. DEFINITELY price a go to.
Pembrokeshire Street Journey
Really helpful by Suzanne | Meandering Wild
The Pembrokeshire Coast is situated within the far south-west of Wales. It’s simply accessible as you can begin the journey from the tip of the M4 at Swansea. The street follows the coast with quite a few little seashores, lovely castles and small cities. The additional west the smaller the roads grow to be and extra rugged the panorama.
Highlights of Pembrokeshire- what to incorporate in your Wales street journey?
- Caldey Island
- Pembroke and Pembroke Fort
- Manobier Fort
- Skomer Island (puffins!)
- St David’s- the smallest metropolis within the UK
Pembrokeshire street journey itinerary
Tenby is without doubt one of the small seaside cities in Pembrokeshire and has lovely golden seashores. In the summertime months you’ll be able to take a brief boat experience to the monastic island of Caldey Island. That is the right escape and you’ll stroll to the lighthouse in addition to strive the chocolate made by the monks.
A brief distance from Tenby is Pembroke. This is without doubt one of the bigger cities and has a spectacular fort that sits overlooking the river that flows via the city. Pembroke Fort is spectacular, however much more spectacular is the close by Manobier Fort that appears over a small bay excellent for browsing.
If seeing puffins is in your bucket record then go to Skomer Island. In the summertime months this small island is residence to 1000’s of puffins and it is virtually assured to see them. The boat journey runs in good climate and can’t be booked upfront. You have to to reach in St Martins Haven very early to get a ticket for the boat.
The ultimate place to go to in Pembrokeshire is St David’s. That is the smallest metropolis within the UK and has an exquisite cathedral and small winding streets- in addition to among the best pasty retailers we have ever discovered!
How lengthy must you plan for a Pembrokeshire street journey?
A street journey round Pembrokeshire wants a minimum of three days to actually discover, however the longer you’ll be able to spend there the extra you’ll be able to see. In the summertime months it’s busy however the climate is better- particularly for the seashores. Within the winter it’s wild and desolate however sights are empty.
Wales Street Journey- driving the coast from south Wales to North
As with anyplace, there are many routes to drive from South to North. Nonetheless, on this occasion we extremely advocate the coastal route across the west coast of Wales.
Head up from Anglesey, you’ll be able to benefit from the magnificent views of
- Cardigan Bay- well-known for frequent sightings of bottlenose dolphins
- Fishguard- a fairly harbour and village
- Strumble Head lighthouse
- Aberystwyth- an historic market city and residential of the Nationwide Library of Wales
- Snowdonia Nationwide Park- this requires a minimum of 3 days to do it justice, but when nothing else make sure to go to Mt Snowdon- Wales’ highest peak
- While in Snowdonia, make sure to go to Swallow Falls- the only highest steady waterfall in Wales
Isle of Anglesey, North Wales Street Journey
Really helpful by Sophia | The Wanderful Me
That includes unbelievable hikes, attractive inexperienced rolling hills, infinite seaside coastlines, cool castles, lovely seashores and cute little Welsh villages (crammed with scrumptious meals!), you need to positively embrace Anglesey in your Wales street journey itinerary.
Finest Issues to do in Anglesey
Anglesey is commonly talked about as one of many greatest locations to go to in Wales. Listed below are a number of the highlights you’ll be able to embrace in your Wales street journey itinerary:
- Coastal hikes — there are SO many to select from and all will ship unimaginable views over the ocean.
- Parys Mountain — an deserted copper mine that now appears just like the floor of Mars.
- Beaumaris Fort — constructed throughout the late thirteenth century and thought of to be probably the most technically excellent fort (its symmetry is extremely correct)
- Go to a lighthouse — dotted all throughout the shoreline of Anglesey, you’ll discover plenty of lovely lighthouses. You’ll be able to even keep in a single!
How lengthy ought to an Anglesey street journey take?
Since Anglesey is fairly small, a street journey shouldn’t take too lengthy! It might simply be achieved in 1-2 days (particularly should you’re not an enormous mountain climbing fan). After all, you possibly can decelerate and take a couple of days to see all this island has to supply.
Does it value cash to get to Anglesey if it is an island?
No- there is a suspension bridge (the Menai bridge – though typically known as the Telford Bridge by locals), and it is free to cross. Automobiles and motorhomes can get throughout no drawback.
When is the very best time to plan a street journey to Anglesey?
Questioning what time of the 12 months is greatest for a go to? Although summers are blissful on Anglesey, it’s unimaginable packed at the moment with UK vacationers and households. Thus, I like to recommend both doing an Anglesey street journey within the fall or spring, when it’s not too chilly or overrun with guests!
Need extra locations to go to in Europe in Autumn? Listed below are a number of the greatest!
In your method again from Anglesey, there are many unimaginable locations to go to:
- Caernarfon Fort (proper up close to Anglesey)
- Llangollen Canal – we employed a narrowboat from right here for a couple of days to go over the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct
- Dinas Bran Fort (close to Llangollen)
- Chester- one in all my favorite cities; proper on the border between England and Wales- we visited as a part of our epic England Street journey
- Chirk Fort- a Nationwide Belief property nicely price a go to
- Conwy- we stayed right here for a number of nights on a yacht MANY years in the past and it was lovely.
Helpful issues to know to your Wales Street Journey planning
Do they actually converse Welsh?
Yep. All indicators shall be in Welsh, then English. The Welsh are a small nation however fiercely pleased with their heritage and language. Nonetheless, practically each individual in Wales speaks a minimum of some English, and positively everybody who offers with vacationers.
Do they take £/ GBP?
Sure, Wales does NOT have its personal foreign money. They use pound sterling, similar to the remainder of the UK.
Do they drive on the left or the proper?
Within the UK, they drive on the left in all places.
Is it simple to seek out tenting spots for motorhomes/ campervans?
Sure- should you do not go in excessive summer season. We went within the Easter holidays a couple of years in the past and had no issues discovering a campsite, however I’ve heard in the summertime they get VERY booked- particularly close to the ocean.
Is wild tenting authorized in Wales?
It is tolerated, as a lot as wild tenting is anyplace within the UK. Keep away from the principle vacationer areas and you ought to be simply positive. Having mentioned that, we have been in Wales when all of it went slightly wrong- watch the video under:
In order for you a free wild tenting guidelines, seize it right here.
I hope this put up has helped you discover unimaginable locations to go to and revel in. Been already? The place’s your favorite Wales Street journey? Tell us!