Considering of a Mallorca highway journey by campervan? Then this 2022 RV journey information with the perfect routes and tricks to benefit from the island is all you want. In spite of everything, this manner of touring offers you whole freedom to discover autonomously and at your individual tempo, uncovering off-the-beaten-path locations that you possibly can miss in any other case whereas getting a extra genuine expertise, notably when touring low season.
Exploring Mallorca by campervan is turning into an more and more widespread and enticing solution to go to the island. Here’s a full information to RV journey in Mallorca as a way to plan which elements to go to, study concerning the guidelines and laws for highway trippers, and resolve how lengthy to spend on the island.
Touring by RV means it is possible for you to to find Mallorca in a completely impartial method as a result of the motorhome, campervan, or transformed van offers you quite a lot of freedom and adaptability: in case you come throughout a spot the place you wish to keep longer, you possibly can simply modify your route at your individual tempo.
Moreover, in these pandemic instances, touring by campervan may be very interesting, as a result of you possibly can simply preserve social distance. In truth, through the summer time of 2020, there was a big improve in vacationers who opted to find Mallorca on this method.
A quick intro to Mallorca, an island of timeless attraction
Current historical past of tourism in Mallorca
As with different huge coastal locations in Spain, worldwide tourism in Mallorca took off within the 70s and grew with every decade. The 80s and 90s have been the large vacation package deal years, with guests shopping for an organized vacation package deal of their house nation and having every thing already organized for them at their vacation spot.
Within the late 90s and early 00s, low-cost flights started forcing holidaymakers to be extra impartial and gave them freedom exterior the restraints of the package deal vacation framework.
These days guests are much more adventurous and impartial than they as soon as have been. The tour package deal of the 80s and 90s nonetheless exists, as does the dreaded all-inclusive package deal vacation, however the carefree impartial traveler has positively reached these shores. And lots of are arriving in a campervan!
What’s the greatest time to go to Mallorca?
Mallorca is a superb vacation spot all yr spherical and the ferries function year-round too. Mallorca is especially a summer time vacation spot, as most guests are in search of a pleasant seashore and an excellent suntan. If you wish to swim within the sea, then you’ll definitely must schedule your highway journey for the summer time months when temperatures are properly into the 30s day by day.
Then again, and though the summer time months are hottest, different elements of the yr are greatest for various causes.
Lengthy drives will be very pleasurable within the spring and Autumn.
Probably the most appropriate months to go to Mallorca for energetic vacationers trying ahead to spending time open air are February, March, April, and Could. Average temperatures and sunny days await.
In any other case, in case you don’t want the warmth and wish to keep away from the crowds, then you possibly can go to in winter, so long as you don’t thoughts that exterior Palma, many bars and eating places are closed. Winter in Mallorca can get chilly in a campervan at evening, however even in December and January, the climate through the day will be nice with blue skies and sunshine. It may be nasty too, so in winter you’re taking your luck with the climate.
Why must you take a Mallorca highway journey?
Mallorca, the biggest island on the Balearic archipelago – one in all Spain’s 17 autonomous communities – has all of it: nice climate, beautiful seashores, unspoiled villages, unbelievable mountains, tasty gastronomy, and a well-established vacationer infrastructure making life simple for guests.
There are improbable excursions in Mallorca and lots of issues to do and see for a memorable highway journey. Located within the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Barcelona, Mallorca is without doubt one of the most vital vacationer locations in Spain and, regardless of having a inhabitants that doesn’t fairly attain 1 million inhabitants, welcomes over 8 million vacationers yearly (most of which go to between April and October).
Listed below are just a few tricks to keep away from the excessive variety of vacationers and luxuriate in a extra genuine expertise in Mallorca:
- Journey low season if doable.
- Head to the lesser elements of the island. The agricultural Estellencs, on the Serra de Tramuntana foothills, is an efficient place to get began.
- Eat in native eating places and help native companies as a lot as you possibly can. It’s essentially the most eco-friendly solution to discover the island!
What do it is advisable pack for a Mallorca highway journey?
If you happen to’re touring in an RV then there’s no have to journey gentle, however you don’t have to carry pointless objects both. Listed below are just a few must-brings:
- Digital camera.
- Swimsuit and towel.
- Flip flops (bear in mind it’s unlawful to drive in them although).
- Good mountaineering boots for exploring mountain trails.
- Solar cream and aftersun.
- Sun shades (these are much more vital for the motive force).
- Driving license legitimate in Spain (in Spain you could carry your driving license with you if you end up driving any car).
- Mosquito repellent.
Attending to Mallorca in a campervan
Reaching Mallorca is simple from the mainland for individuals touring with their very own car, as there are day by day ferries from Barcelona and Valencia in addition to many ferry departures all through the day between Mallorca and the opposite islands.
The preferred solution to get to Mallorca is the in a single day ferry from Barcelona to the Port of Alcudia. Do test all of the routes on-line earlier than you e-book although, because the completely different ferry corporations typically publish particular provides.
RV journey and laws in Mallorca
A leisure car is a completely autonomous house car, which has a water tank (one for clear water and one for used water), a chemical rest room, a small kitchen, and a bed room. They’re designed to be traveled in with whole consolation. There are completely different ranges of luxurious based on price range.
An RV can value wherever between 50,000 and 100,000 euros, relying on the comforts, finishes, and designs. You possibly can lease an RV in Mallorca for between 150 and 200 euros per day within the excessive season, and between 80 and 120 per day within the off-season.
Laws for motorhomes in Mallorca
RV vacationers in Mallorca should perceive the distinction between two ideas: parking and tenting.
- When parked, the nationwide visitors laws apply.
- When tenting, the laws of the Balearic Authorities apply, and the SEPRONA (if you’re tenting on rustic land), IBANAT (in protected areas), Coastal Demarcation (within the coastal zone), or the native police, can transfer you on and positive you if you’re breaking laws or tenting in an unauthorized place.
Parking is outlined as being contained in the car (watching TV, consuming, sleeping, and so forth.). In case you are exterior, organising a desk, taking out chairs, or putting jacks to stabilize the campervan, then you might be tenting. In Mallorca, you can not camp freely wherever you need as it may possibly carry a collection of penalties. In case you are unsure whether or not you might be allowed to camp or keep in anyplace for any size of time, please test with the native authorities to keep away from being fined.
Campervan parking in Mallorca and repair areas
In Mallorca, there are greater than 500 leisure autos. In France, over 500,000 and in Germany, greater than 600,000. In Spain, about 230,000.
Mallorca is a perfect place to go to by RV, in that the temperature is right and the setting is beautiful, however Mallorca is just not very properly ready for RV journey; that is one thing that’s solely simply turning into widespread on the island. In truth, on your entire island, there are barely two service areas for motorhomes:
- Within the Son Castelló industrial property in Palma: it belongs to EMAYA, and is situated within the Son Castelló Parc Verd. It’s a separate space from the waste assortment space and has a spot to securely get rid of gray waters and a water facility to scrub and fill the water tanks. It opens from 8:00 to twenty:00.
- Petroest gasoline station in Son Rossinyol on Carrer Gremi Cirugians i Barbers, 11: For five€ you should utilize the ecological level to alter the water of your car.
In Mallorca there are only a few clear parking locations particularly for campervans:
- Lluc Monastery automotive park: this can be a very quiet automotive park surrounded by nature, though it’s not unique to campervans. Close by is the tenting space, Sa Font Coberta, the place you possibly can load and drain the water from the motorhome. It additionally has showers and barbecues. The parking payment is 10€ per day.
- Parking in Son Servera: situated close to the seashore of Port Vell, it has 12 areas and you may park for a most of 48 hours. On the Repsol gasoline station in Son Servera they’ve arrange a service space.
- Parking in Son Serra de Marina: there’s the potential of parking up at Son Serra de Marina however the pointers usually are not clear. Parking is feasible by the native council places of work and that’s additionally the place you will get up-to-date details about laws.
Finest issues to see and do in Mallorca
The routes under, which have been designed particularly with campervans in thoughts, will be loved over a few days or an extended time. Guests to the island who prefer to journey on this method are usually in search of hidden corners, stunning coves, nature, and little-known villages, so the steered routes under don’t embrace Mallorca’s most industrial points of interest like waterparks, buying facilities, or huge coach tour day-tripper hotspots.
On the finish of this put up, you will see that an inventory of seashores that may be present in the identical areas because the routes and may simply be included into your vacation itinerary.
What number of days must you spend in Mallorca?
The longer you have got in Mallorca, the extra alternative you’ll have to delve into the native tradition and gastronomy and discover areas in depth. When you have the time, no less than two weeks in Mallorca are perfect for exploring all the next ideas, giving your self time to loosen up and luxuriate in seashore days in between.
A suggestion if you’re touring for just a few days or a weekend is to comply with simply one of many routes. The next yr, do the following one on the listing and so forth.
Exploring just a few Mallorca highway journey routes by campervan
There’s a lot to see in Mallorca, and it’s tough to cowl every thing. However if you’re touring by campervan and are versatile with time, you must have the ability to cowl a lot of the next itineraries. Every thing boils all the way down to time and price range, however the great thing about exploring Mallorca by RV means you can get off the overwhelmed monitor, take your time and transfer round slowly.
Highway journey via cala Agulla
Near the vacationer middle of Cala Ratjada, is the attractive seashore of Cala Agulla, which has a big car parking zone and an space for motorhomes the place you possibly can park for 10€ per day. Though the parking ticket workplace closes at 6:30 p.m., you possibly can enter and park later, and pay the following day. The RV parking space is in an space with out shade, a little bit far out from the seashore.
There are free bogs on Cala Agulla Seashore, which work with tokens that you just purchase on the parking workplace, solely in the summertime season.
Issues to do in and round Cala Agulla:
- Take a swim within the crystal-clear waters of Cala Agulla. If you happen to’re visiting Mallorca through the summer time months, then one of many most important causes to park up at Cala Agulla is to take pleasure in this excellent seashore and swim in its good Mediterranean waters.
- If you happen to like mountaineering, you possibly can stroll to Cala Mesquida (one other spectacular seashore) or to the previous defensive watchtower of Son Jaumell from the place you possibly can take pleasure in glorious views. Regardless of being near massive vacationer resorts, you’ll really feel like you have got the entire space only for your self.
- You possibly can go to the attractive city of Capdepera, the place a go to to its medieval fort is a should. (If you happen to’re touring with a furry good friend, canines are allowed within the fort grounds too).
- Each Tuesday the city of Arta holds one of many nicest markets on the island and has a devoted farmers’ market. You can also make a day of it and take a stroll via the city and as much as the Sant Salvador Sanctuary atop a hill with magnificent views again over the city and for miles throughout the island and out to sea. Within the outskirts of Arta, the talayotic settlement of Ses Paisses is value a go to.
Highway journey via Alcudia Bay
On a lovely highway journey alongside Alcudia Bay, you can begin by spending the evening in Son Serra de Marina on the southern finish of the bay. Proper in entrance of the municipal places of work, there’s an space the place you possibly can park your RV. Stroll via this small city with its chilled-out vibe and luxuriate in its fairly seashore and promenade.
Dedicate the following day to visiting the municipality of Alcudia. Listed below are some choices for parking:
- In entrance of the church of Alcudia, there’s a automotive park.
- In Puerto del Cocodrilo there’s one other automotive park proper subsequent to a washing space.
- On the best way to the Ermita de La Victoria, earlier than reaching S’Illot, there’s a small bridge and an space that’s widespread with campervans.
- On the Ermita de La Victoria itself, there’s a parking space.
- One other extremely popular motorhome website is on the seashore of Aucanada.
Apart from the primary possibility, which is within the middle of Alcudia Previous City, all these parking places are quiet and have beautiful coastal views.
Issues to do in and round Alcudia:
- The superbly maintained streets of Alcudia Previous City are a delight for a stroll. It is possible for you to to stroll on the medieval partitions, browse across the small artisan retailers and luxuriate in lunch at one of many typical Mallorcan eating places. Lastly, you possibly can go to the Roman ruins of Pollentia, one of many few archaeological stays preserved in Mallorca from that epoch.
- Alcudia stands out for its amount and high quality of seashores. The preferred is the seashore of Puerto de Alcudia which, with its massive stretch of sand, is right for households. If you happen to prefer to snorkel, each the S’Illot space and Aucanada are good.
- Alcudia Port is a busy one with a variety of day by day boat journeys on provide. Crusing is an impressive solution to benefit from the beautiful northern shoreline.
- If you happen to like mountaineering, there are some marvelous trails in Alcudia, particularly across the space of La Victoria. From the Atalaya of La Victoria or the Peña del Migdia, the views of Alcudia Bay and Pollensa Bay are spectacular, and on clear days, you possibly can even see Menorca.
A route in Mallorca for the skilled highway tripper
This route in Mallorca takes us to a spot that’s not simple to succeed in by RV, however which is properly well worth the effort and nerves (nerves as a result of the highway is slender and winding and with many vehicles in summer time and lots of cyclists out of summer time). However the website’s magnificence will depart you speechless.
It’s Formentor Lighthouse, also referred to as Cap de Formentor, the northernmost level on the island.
You possibly can park your campervan on the lighthouse, though the car parking zone is just not very huge. IMPORTANT: the highway from Formentor Seashore to the lighthouse is restricted to visitors from fifteenth June to fifteenth September from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. In that time period, you can not flow into on this highway in a motorcar.
Issues to do within the Formentor space:
- Because of the orientation of the Formentor peninsula, this is without doubt one of the greatest locations on the island to see each the sundown and the dawn. Each are spectacular.
- If you wish to swim, Formentor Seashore must be high of your listing. It’s a stunning seashore, with glorious views and crystal-clear waters. This seashore may be very widespread with individuals on day by day boat journeys from Puerto Alcudia and Puerto Pollensa so the perfect time to take pleasure in this seashore is after 4 pm.
- On the best way to Formentor, don’t neglect to cease on the Es Colomer viewpoint. You’ll see a few of the greatest views on the island from right here and it’s additionally nice for dawn and sundown.
- Go to Puerto Pollensa, and likewise go to the previous city of Pollensa. There may be a lot to do and see in each Puerto Pollensa and Pollensa, so if you’re not pushed for time, attempt to allocate just a few days for each locations.
- If you happen to like wine, go to the Can Vidalet vineyard, the place you possibly can style wine made on-site at their bodega, with a concentrate on native grape varieties and artisan manufacturing.
- Like Alcudia Bay, the bay of Pollensa is right for crusing, both on a catamaran tour, a crusing tour, or a non-public boat journey. Some locations provide windsurf, kitesurf, and canoeing experiences.
Highway journey via the Tramuntana mountains
One of the vital stunning areas of Mallorca declared a UNESCO World Heritage Website, the Tramuntana Mountains cowl a 3rd of the island alongside your entire west coast.
In case you are coming from the earlier route, your first cease can be at Lluc Monastery, the place there’s a campervan parking facility.
There are lots of trekking routes round Lluc and the knowledge middle has maps and mountaineering trails. A very good hike is the one which takes you to see Es Camell, a karst rock that has been formed by the impact of the rainwater, and appears like a camel. The realm instantly round Lluc Monastery is gorgeous, and the monastery itself, thought-about the non secular middle of Mallorca, is sort of majestic.
Don’t depart Lluc with out having visited the church and having heard the Blauets sing. This is without doubt one of the oldest singing faculties in Europe.
From Lluc, proceed your RV journey to Sa Calobra. The highway to Sa Calobra is taken into account one of the crucial spectacular in Europe. Make a cease on the “knot of the tie”, the place you will note that the highway turns beneath itself, and there’s a fantastic viewpoint.
Sa Calobra itself is sort of a touristy place with tour teams, so it’s higher to go to late afternoon as soon as the crowds have moved on. You possibly can spend the evening at Sa Calobra in your RV, as there’s a parking space.
The seashore at Sa Calobra is framed with spectacular cliffs of the Serra de Tramuntana and is the place the Torrent de Pareis Gorge meets the ocean. Swimming right here is pure pleasure.
From Sa Calobra, drive via the world of the reservoirs and the foothills of the Puig Main, the very best mountain on the island, to the Valley of Soller. Right here you possibly can dedicate a day or two to those ideas:
- Take a stroll via the city, particularly the sq. and the Carrer Lluna with its modernist buildings.
- Go to Can Prunera, a restored modernist home that homes a museum.
- Go by tram to Puerto de Soller, to have dinner there or take a stroll to the Santa Catalina viewpoint.
- Strive a selfmade orange ice cream (the Soller Valley is famend for its orange orchards) at Gelats de Soller or Can Pau. Their ice lotions are scrumptious, with no comparability to at the moment’s industrially-produced variations.
In Soller, you possibly can park your RV on the principle highway, close to Soller Botanical Backyard.
Deia and Valldemossa
The final a part of this highway journey via the Tramuntana Mountains takes you to Deia and Valldemossa. Be very cautious driving on this highway, which is slender and curvy in some sections.
Each Deia and Valldemossa are among the many most photographed places in Mallorca due to their beautiful environment within the Tramuntana Mountains and their completely preserved streets and stone buildings.
In Valldemossa, the bigger of the 2, you possibly can go to the Carthusian Monastery Museum and the Palace of King Sancho. Then stroll to the oldest a part of city, the place you discover the parish church, and you’ll uncover a few of the most stunning streets on the town.
Banyalbufar and Estellencs
If you wish to prolong this RV mountain route, take the highway to Banyalbufar and Estellencs, two small villages close to the ocean, which retain all their attraction with their stone homes and delightful streets. The 2 locations are the picture of postcard perfection and are identified for his or her typical terraces the place olive timber and grapevines are cultivated. There’s a carpark in Banyalbufar.
Highway journey via the Pla de Mallorca
The inland space of the island, referred to as the Pla de Mallorca, is commonly ignored by guests, and highway trippers are likely to want the coastal areas. However the inside of Mallorca is the place you possibly can see the true rural aspect of the island, untouched by tourism. Listed below are some suggestions:
- Ariany: a city that retains all its rural character. Take a stroll to see the views from the perspective in entrance of its church.
- Petra: one other charming city, the place you possibly can go to the museum and the home the place Fray Junipero Serra was born. Afterward, drive or hike up the Puig de Bonany hill to go to the well-preserved hermitage and absorb views of Alcudia Bay. Return to Petra simply in time for a late lunch at one of many cellers that the city is legendary for.
- Sant Joan: you possibly can go to the Els Calderers house-museum and go as much as the Sanctuary of Nuestra Señora de la Consolación, a well-liked place with campervans.
Seashores in Mallorca to discover by motorhome
Lastly, to finish this put up about highway tripping Mallorca, some glorious seashores to go to:
Mallorca has greater than 300 seashores and coves, so there are lots to select from. When touring by motorhome in Mallorca, you can be considerably depending on the parking choices. To slender it down, the next are very picturesque seashores that you could find with out diverting a lot from the routes talked about and all have automotive parks accessible for RVs.
- In Pollensa: Cala San Vicente, Cala Murta, Cala Figuera, and Puerto Pollensa.
- In Alcudia: Manresa space, Sant Joan Seashore, La Victoria space, Aucanada.
- In Muro: Playa de Muro.
- In Can Picafort: Son Serra de Marina.
- In Capdepera: Cala Agulla.
- In Arta: Betlem space and Colonia de Sant Pere.
- In Cales de Mallorca: Cala Murada.
- In Colonia de Sant Jordi: Es Trenc and Ses Covetes.
- Cala Mondrago.
These are just a few proposals for seashores you can go to together with your motorhome or campervan whereas taking a Mallorca highway journey, however there are undoubtedly many extra. And if you’re completely satisfied to park up and hike or take a ship journey to in any other case inaccessible seashores then your choices are countless.